Span: 4 weeks
Length: Flash Fiction / Sketch Story
For my writing papers at university, we have to produce short stories to be assessed.
Being a novelist, I’ve always found short stories, that are of any nature other than autobiographical, near impossible to write. I don’t know how to smoosh the storyline, the character development, into a few short pages. Naturally, I’ve decided this is something I need to work on.
Having recently consumed The Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, I found myself inspired. The concept is 4 linked short-stories that feature each of the the seasons, taking aspects and associations of them, and putting them in story form. A Seasonal Concept.
So here’s the challenge:
- You can write one story per day, per week, or per month.
- Each story features a season: Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. These must progress in correct order (e.g. if you start in spring, #2 will be summer, etc)
- You can personify these, use them as settings, as metaphorical themes, or write abstractly on the topic. (I know theres also some form of poetry that is similar to prose?)
- Aim to include vital story components: message / point, development, and story arc (beginning, middle, end)
- Some aspect of your stories have to tie in together; they must be linked in some way
- Length is up to you; we will say flash fiction = 300-500 words, sketch stories = 500-1000 (there are of course many variations on wordcounts, so consider this a guideline more than a rule!)
So there we have it! Good luck, I really hope you give this ago and I’d LOVE to see what you come up with so as always, please link me to your stories through the comment section – or, pingbacks are enabled, so include this url in your post. Mine will be going up here on my blog at some point, so keep your eyes peeled, and I’ll also link them below once they’re written.