This semester at uni, I’m enrolled in The Publishing Project, a paper designed to guide us into the world of publications, how to navigate it and succeed. For my production, I am partaking in a group production and together we have decided to found a literary magazine, building from the ground up our very own publication.
I am so excited about this project, and I can’t wait to bring it to life. That being said, this is a huge undertaking and it’s going to be a struggle to balance my time!
Our literary magazine is currently under construction, but we’re already on the hunt for content! If you’re a writer, take a gander at the Call for Submissions form below and get to work on something for us to publish to begin or build your writing portfolio.
Website Coming Soon
Hope Renee Burmeister
Call for Submissions
The new online literary magazine, The Quagga, is now open for submissions! Based at Massey University in New Zealand, we are looking for diverse, up and coming writers with a story to tell. We’re looking for original works in:
- Short fiction
- Short Non-fiction
- Flash Fiction
- 2018 Book Reviews
- Literary Articles
This edition of The Quagga will feature the theme ‘What Almost Was…’ Authors should incorporate this theme into their work in some way.
Submissions must meet the following requirements in order to be accepted for publication:
- Publishing rights must not currently belong to any other publisher, nor can the work have been published in any form within the past two years.
- Submissions must be within the given word limit parameters, give or take 10% of the word count (with the exception of poems, which must be within the specified number of lines).
- Content of submissions must not contain overtly lewd or erotic content, graphic violence, or offensive/hateful messages (e.g. encouraging racism). Presence of such content is only permitted in appropriate context of the work.
- If you are submitting a work with multiple authors, you must gain the other authors’ permission before submitting for publication.
- You may only submit a maximum of one work from any of the specified categories, except in the case of Poetry for which you may submit a maximum of two poems. Any extra submissions will not be considered.
- Short Fiction
- Flash Fiction
- Short Non-Fiction
- Writing-Related Articles
- Book Reviews
- Email submissions to the provided email address in the form of a word document.
- Please format documents in size 12 standard font (e.g. Arial or Times New Roman), with your first and last name (or “Anonymous”) included with page numbering in the top right of the header. Please include a title for all submissions.
- Please send submissions for different categories in separate emails. Please include in the subject line “Quagga Submission: (Name of category, e.g. Book Review)”.
- If you have an original image you would like to publish alongside your work, attach it with your submission email. We reserve the right to use this image at our discretion and may alternatively use an image of our own creation or choosing.
Please send submissions to: email@example.com
Submission Deadline: 22 April 2018
We will contact you to let you know if your work has been accepted for publication at our earliest convenience.
By sending a submission to the provided contact email, you are agreeing to grant The Quagga permission to publish your content on our site and in our quarterly edition of the magazine. You agree to only submit content of which you possess the full rights. You agree to grant us full publishing rights for a 12-month span, and will not publish your work elsewhere in any form within this time period. You are acknowledging that you have read and understood the submission rules and guidelines and agree to adhere to them.